WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT TOOTH BRUSHING FOR KIDS
As soon as your child has a tooth, they can visit a dentist! Regular check-ups every 6 months are a great habit to get your children into, as prevention is always better than cure.
But how do you care for your kids’ teeth in between visits?
HERE ARE 7 TOOTH BRUSHING TIPS AND TRICKS EVERY PARENT SHOULD KNOW:
- You can begin brushing with a soft toothbrush from 12 months old (or earlier) with just water.
- Introduce a pea-sized amount of toothpaste at 18 months. Use a fluoride-containing toothpaste for those aged 6 and up. Kids under 6 can use appropriate kids’ toothpastes.
- Your child should brush for 2 minutes, twice a day. Can’t get your kids to brush for 2 minutes? Try using a timer on your phone, or play your favourite song for 2 minutes to time you.
- To establish a routine, we recommend brushing after breakfast and before going to bed.
- Have your little one sit in your lap facing away from you, or stand behind taller children. Tilt their head back towards you so that you have a clear view of their teeth.
- Use little circles to clean teeth at the front, back, sides, along the inside of the mouth and the tongue too.
- Try to get your kids to floss each night before brushing. If they don’t know how, you can help them or have them use a flossette (floss on a tick). Not sure how to floss properly? Watch this!
My Dental Team are your local dentists with Clinics conveniently located in Bella Vista, Shellharbour and Wollongong. Offering a wide range range of general dental and specialist Orthodontist services.